Sony’s PlayStation 4 is one of the most popular consoles of all time, with Sony selling more than 108 million units since its launch in 2013, and there are already 10 million PS5s in the wild despite stock issues. While most of the games available for the platform are single-player, those who want to play with friends online require a PlayStation Network connection.
But what happens when you want to change the email or password associated with your PlayStation Network connection? Or if you want to change your username online? While changing your username on PSN used to be nothing more than a pipe dream, it is now possible – but there are risks involved. Read on and we’ll show you how to change your PSN ID, email, and password on PS4, PS5, and the web.
How to change your PSN Online ID
It was not possible to change your PSN Online ID for a very long time due to its impact on the PlayStation Network ecosystem. However, an April 2019 update introduced the ability to change your PSN Online ID via your PS4 or web browser (and later on PS5). Finally, you no longer need to use the identifier you created when you were 15!
How to Change Your PSN ID on Your PS4
- Go to the Settings section of your PS4.
- Select Account Management > Account Information > Profile > Online ID.
- Enter the new online ID of your choice.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the change.
How to Change Your PSN ID on Your PS5
- Go to your PS5’s Settings menu.
- Select Users & Accounts > Account > Profile > Online ID.
- Enter the new online ID of your choice.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to save your changes.
How to Change Your PSN ID in a Web Browser
- Log in to your PSN account on the Sony site and select PSN Profile from the menu.
- Select the Edit button next to your Online ID.
- Enter an online ID of your choice.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to confirm the change.
The ID change issue existed because not all titles supported this feature, meaning changing the ID could result in achievements, trophies, or loss of access to certain games. Sony conducted a beta test for the feature in late 2018 to make sure it was working fine for most of its user base and has now officially been released to everyone on the service.
However, Sony has mentioned that some older games may not support the renaming feature. All PS4 titles released on or after April 1, 2018, have been developed to include the ability to support the name change, but you’ll want to check out this list of tested games to make sure you’re looking for added protection. You can check that your favorite game can be played. Played with a modified ID..
Sony has also posted an FAQ that answers common questions regarding ID changes (which you can find at the bottom of this page) and you can always contact their support team directly if you have any further questions.
How to Change Your PSN Email Address
It is recommended that you always associate an up-to-date email address with your PlayStation Network ID, as this is where you will receive emails about new games, PlayStation Store receipts, etc.
So what do you do when you’ve changed your email? Do you need to create a new PlayStation Network login? This is expected not to happen.
In fact, it’s a snap to change the email associated with your PSN login on your console:
- Turn on your console and select the user account associated with your PSN.
- On PS4 go to Settings > Account Management > Account Info > Login ID. If you have a PS5, go to Settings > Users & Accounts > Account > Login ID.
- Enter your PSN password to verify that the account is not subject to malicious access.
- Enter your new login ID (ie your new email address) and select “Confirm”.
- You should receive a verification email via the new email address you entered – click the included link to verify the change.
- You will now be able to log in to your account using your new email address.
It should be noted that if you change the connection of the sub-account, the main account must authorize the change by entering your password.
How to Change Your PSN Password
It’s a similar process to changing your PlayStation Network login password on your PS4 or PS5, although it will only work if you already know your existing password.
Change PSN Password on PS4
- Turn on your PS4 and select the user account associated with your PSN.
- On the PS4, go to Settings > Account Management > Account Information > Security (at this point you’ll be asked to sign in to verify that you’re accessing the account) and select a password. For PS5 users, go to Settings > Users & Accounts > Account > Security > Passwords.
- Enter your new password and write it down in a safe place.
- Click “Continue” to save the new password.
Change PSN Password on PS5
- Turn on your PS5 and sign in to the account associated with your PSN account.
- Go to Settings > Users & Accounts > Account > Security > Passwords.
- Enter your existing password and your new password.
- select Confirm to save the changes.
But what if you can’t remember your original password to access your account details on your console? If you have forgotten your PSN password, you can change it on PC, Mac, or mobile by going to the Forgot Password section of the Sony website and following the on-screen instructions.